Caring for your 100% New Zealand wool Movement Mat
- Shake after each use
- If your mat needs drying after a hot practice, or airing out, hang in direct sunlight (Wool can absorb up to 35% of its weight in water, which is how it wicks sweat away from your mat so effectively. Once practice is completed, if wet, allow it to dry by leaving it flat for a while, preferably in a sunny area. That said, we don’t recommend to use our practice mat in hot studios, because humid and hot environments can shorten the shelf life of your new natural fibre practice mat.)
- Gentle vacuum both sides once per week if you use it every day. Use only the sucking mechanism (not brush or beater bar) to preserve the condition of the fibres
Your mat will not need washing often due to its natural self cleaning properties - wool fibre is coated in its lanolin, which stops bacteria from attacking it. All you need to do to clean it is leave the mat flat out to dry after a sweaty practice, ideally under direct sunlight. If stained, spot dry cleaning is an effective solution.
Your Movement Mat may also have a natural aroma of lanolin which is an amazing natural occurrence in the wool which repels water, dust and bacteria keeping your mat naturally clean. If you prefer to minimise the aroma, simply lay your mat in the sun for a day, turning a few times. Alternatively, choose your favourite essential oil, dilute two to three drops with 500ml of water and lightly spritz your mat.
How to wash
- Spot clean using a small amount of wool detergent. Remove residue with a clean damp cloth
- To hand wash, choose a sunny day and submerge in cold water with wool detergent. Leave to soak for one hour. Agitate and then thoroughly rinse with cold water. Gently squeeze out excess water and lay flat in direct sunlight to dry. Ensure your mat is completely dry before using again
- Top tip! Hand wash in the bathtub, stand on it and use your feet to agitate after soaking for one hour
Long-term storage instructions
Always hand wash your Movement Mat before storing it for an extended period of time. Keep it in an airtight bag with a dry lavender sachet for maximum preservation.
What to avoid
Softeners, brighteners, shampoo, bleach; do not hand wash in hot water, machine wash, tumble dry or iron; store long-term without washing first; spray with perfume; use brush or beater bar when vacuuming.